It’s that time of year again and the official start of summer for me, yes it’s Camden Rocks time! This year (for the first time ever) the festival will be spread over two days! So double the bands, double the fun and double the sun (hopefully)! It’s my 6th year on the trot going and it’s gotta be one of the best line ups so far! There’s always an incredible vibe as bands and music fans take over Camden high street and some of the country’s best music venues for the whole weekend! It’s been known to sell out in the past, so don’t snooze on buying your tickets for one of the best music events in the UK, details below!
So between running between venues, queuing and praying for queues to go down, and praying even harder that my favourite bands don’t clash, here are my top picks for this years lineup.
- The Hyena Kill: Hard, fast and loud! What more could you want from this mesmerising two piece. They never fail to deliver!
- Strange Bones: Furious punk, abrasive and edgy in its delivery. I’ve been mesmerised by these guys at previous shows and I’ve no doubt Camden will be no exception!
- King Nun: I stumbled across these guys playing The Hare & Hounds in Birmingham, their punchy energetic rock had me hooked and chasing up their back catalogue. They’ve just secured a support slot with Foo Fighters in Belfast later this year!
- Dig Lazarus: Good friends, they always bring the party with their balls to the wall rock and roll!
Already too many clashes anticipated, but, also hoping to catch that day Black Futures, Milk Teeth, Ginger Wildheart, New Model Army and Wheatus.
- The Wonder Stuff: Really the starting point of my ‘alternative’ taste in music. Whilst my school friends were heading off to Bros concerts, I was (and still am) obsessed with this mighty alt rock band that fuelled my youth in the 90s, I caught them on tour last year and well, they’ve just improved with age!
- The Virginmarys: This band just keep going from strength to strength, their powerful, honest rock songs blow me away time and time again, their live shows second to none. Regulars at Camden Rocks, it’s their 5th appearance there and it just wouldn’t be the same without them. If we’re lucky enough, we may even get an acoustic set from frontman Ally Dickaty too, which in previous years have been pretty special.
- Ash: Again, back to my youth! Their 1977 album was an absolute game changer! Recently reforming and touring the arse off its 20th anniversary I was thrilled to see them perform in Dublin and they are just as brilliant now as they were back in the day.
- Longy: Discovered at my very first Camden Rocks, my love affair with this incredible writer and band has never wavered. It’s the type of music that touches the soul, punches the heart and unshackles your feet, and if it’s like previous years the vibe in the room will be electric!
Also clashes and queuing permitting….Healthy Junkies, JOANovARC, False Heads and Rews.
Thanks to Camden Rocks’ uber easy to negotiate web page, I’ve scanned around artists I’ve not heard of before and these are ones I’m definitely going to try and catch! Asylums, Deux Furieuses, Heavy Rapids, Rascalton and Brain Ape!
But as always, one of the things I love most about this festival is just walking past a bar, hearing something magical drifting through the window and being drawn inside with that familiar feeling that you’ve stumbled across something new, something special and you were there at the beginning. Looking forward to reporting back to you all.
You can find all band listings and ticket info below!