Occasionally you get an album dropping in which really catches your eye for some reason. This one caught my eye because I’m a bit of a gaming nerd and I had one or two of the early Tony Hawk games on my PS2. This is a covers album of tracks featuring in those games, and is a tribute to them. Many of the bands featured discovered skater rock and punk music as a direct result of the soundtracks and with the games themselves being remastered (out in September) for their 20th anniversary – you have my permission to feel old – the bands thought it would be a good time to drop this little “thank you”.
Every track on here was recorded during lockdown using whatever facilities the bands had to hand. Most songs are by a single band, but a couple (billed as being by Smash Mouse Records) involve artists from several of the acts. Some help was thrown around in terms of mixing and mastering as well, as some people had access to kit which would help others. This is a truly collaborative effort from everyone involved.
The best way to describe the album is “a bit of fun”, and one which has paid off. Most of the covers have been given a bit of a spin and a prime example is No Murder No Moustache’s version of “Blood Brothers”. A gently, flowing and mainly acoustic lo-fi version of the song originally found on Papa Roach’s breakthrough Infest album, it just works. This, for me, is what a cover should be – a real twist on the original.
As well as this we have songs originally by Bad Religion, Dead Kennedys, Goldfinger, Swingin’ Utters and more. The full list is below along with a sample. The album is available to pre-order now for only £7.
- Flavourmaid – Police Truck (Dead Kennedys)
- WolfPunch – Superman (Goldfinger)
- BoxCat – Cyco Vision (Suicidal Tendencies)
- WolfPunch – New Girl (Suicide Machines)
- No Murder No Moustache – Blood Brothers (Papa Roach)
- Sexy Pretty Things – Guerilla Radio (RAtM)
- Smash Mouse Records – You (Bad Religion)
- Ignitemares – When Worlds Collide (Powerman 5000)
- Kayleigh Morgan – Five Lessons Learned (Swingin’ Utters)
- Fake Friends – No Cigar (Millencolin)
- Ignitemares – Heavy Metal Winner (Consumed)
- Smash Mouse Records – May 16 (Lagwagon)
A Tribute To Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 + 2 is out on August 28th