Evil Scarecrow are a band best known, and justifiably so, for their live shows. Full of crap props and puerile humour they know how to tickle the funny bone of a crowd. However, you can’t put on a live show without the music to back it up (though King-810 seem to try their best). So, prior to a run of dates kicking off this week, the band have released their fourth album – Antartarctica.
Now, ES aren’t known for taking many things seriously, but one thing they definitely don’t skimp on is the music. Antartarctica is so much fun. Atmospheric, heavy and metallic with forays into thrash and death in various places. From opener “Skulls of our Enemies” you know the band is out to maintain this live reputation, with its shouty “Skull! Skull! refrain. “Red Riding Hood” is as dark and twisted as the original fairy tale with great use being made of Princess Luxury’s keys to keep it eerie. Scroll down for the video.
“Hurricanado” has already had quite the outing, being unleashed as long ago as Bloodstock 2017, and it’s one of the best songs on a strong album. It pretty much plucks from all the highs the album hits elsewhere. Orchestral, chaotic, thrashy and just a tiny bit mental. Thomas Ornado has a lot to answer for. “Polterghost” waves a quick thank you to the battle metal scene and “The Ballad of Brother Pain” reminds me of Spinal Tap for some reason.
And then we have the title track. A ten minute, pounding metallic epic that does its “titulular” namesake credit. It’s the kind of thing you could throw at an A-level English student and ask them to write an essay about how its rhythm and flow relates to the Antartarctic.
Amazingly, this is the first album I’ve actually heard by Evil Scarecrow but rest assured it won’t be the last. Unfortunately I’ll miss them on the coming tour, but there’s no reason you should! Dates are below.
Chapter IV: Antartarctica is out now
- Saturday 6th October 2018 – Rock City, Nottingham
- Thursday 11th October 2018 – The Marble Factory, Bristol
- Friday 12th October 2018 – Manchester Academy
- Saturday 13th October 2018 – Brudenell Social Club, Leeds
- Thursday 18th October 2018 – Fibbers: Live Music Venue, York
- Friday 19th October 2018 – G2, The Garage, Glasgow
- Saturday 20th October 2018 – Plug 2, Sheffield
- Thursday 25th October 2018 – The Sugarmill, Stoke On Trent
- Friday 26th October 2018 – The Slade Rooms, Wolverhampton
- Saturday 27th October 2018 – The Craufurd Arms (Live Music Venue), Milton Keynes
- Saturday 5th January 2019 – The Yardbirds, Grimsby
- Thursday 24th January 2019 – Engine Rooms Southampton
- Friday 25th January 2019 – Tunbridge Wells Forum
- Saturday 26th January 2019 – Electric Ballroom, London
- Thursday 31st January 2019 – The Tivoli, Buckley
- Friday 1st February 2019 – Voodoo Belfast
- Saturday 2nd February 2019 – On The Rox, Dublin