Following their debut sell-out European tour last year, Canada’s multi-platinum progressive pop band Marianas Trench have announced they are returning to Europe.
Marianas Trench declare:
EUROPE! Guess who’s coming back this May? It’s us. Returning to your glorious continent on “The Final Countdown” tour, we’re back at full strength and ready to finish what we started, and then some. New dates, makeup dates, new cities, old cities – stoking! Can’t wait to see everyone soon. Bring your squirrelin’ pail cuz this is gonna get furry!
Kicking off in Bristol on May 1st, the 17-date tour will showcase new material from their latest released fourth studio album Astoria which echoes one part 1980’s fantasy adventure film and one part classic Marianas Trench. It honours classic coming of age stories, and reflects on frontman Josh Ramsay’s own personal journey that took him from the highest high to the darkest point in his life and career. “This album is about completely falling to pieces, and picking yourself back up again,” lead singer Josh Ramsay explains. “We took the hardest two years of my life and made it into something beautiful, and our best work to date.”
For the new UK single “Who Do You Love” the band decided against making a traditional music video, instead opting to use the production funds to make a difference and inspire others to go out and do some good. Scenarios range from the guys simply sharing funds in situational one-on-ones to more elaborate pay-it-forward scenarios that benefit groups of people. Gifts were given on visits to animal shelters and hospitals and comfort food and umbrellas handed out on a rainy day. The scenarios were pre-arranged but the reactions weren’t, leading to honest, authentic and heart-warming reactions from everyone involved. View the video below.
Since their 2006 debut, Fix Me, Marianas Trench have had two Certified Platinum-selling records (Masterpiece Theatre, Ever After), chart topping hits including “Who Do You Love”, “Fallout” and “Haven’t Had Enough”, garnered multiple awards, and number 1 videos. Frontman Josh Ramsay also received a Grammy nomination in 2013 for co-writing and producing Carly Rae Jepsen’s breakthrough smash “Call Me Maybe”.
Below is a full list of UK dates for The Final Countdown tour:
- May 1, 2017 Bristol, UK The Fleece
- May 2, 2017 Birmingham, UK O2 Institute 2
- May 4, 2017 Liverpool, UK O2 Academy 2
- May 5, 2017 Sheffield, UK O2 Academy 2
- May 6, 2017 Edinburgh, UK Liquid Room
- May 8, 2017 Newcastle, UK O2 Academy 2
- May 9, 2017 Manchester, UK Gorilla
- May 11, 2017 Portsmouth, UK Wedgewood Rooms
- May 12, 2017 London, UK Koko
- May 13, 2017 Brighton, UK The Haunt
The band then strike out across the Channel into mainland Europe:
- May 15, 2017 Paris, FR Les Étoiles
- May 16, 2017 Zürich, SUI Dynamo
- May 18, 2017 Amsterdam, NL Paradiso Noord
- May 19, 2017 Berlin, GER Musik & Frieden
- May 20, 2017 Hamburg, GER Indra
- May 22, 2017 Cologne, GER Gebaude 9
- May 23, 2017 Antwerp, BE Kavka