A little side-step in terms of genre with this classic long-standing ska band, but how could we pass up the chance to promote a bunch of legends and give a lucky winner the chance to head to one of the shows, with a friend, for free?
One of the biggest bands of the 2-Tone movement, The Beat present a wall of sound that transcends time and ska fusion rhythms to ignite a crowd. The 2016 line-up features Ranking Roger and Ranking Junior on vocals with Oscar Harrison on drums, Andy Pearson and Steve Harper on guitars.
The Beat are known the world over for a string of hit singles, including “Mirror in the Bathroom”, “Too Nice To Talk To”, “Can’t Get Used To Losing You”, “Hands off She’s Mine” and “All Out To Get You”. Their songs of peace, love and unity fuse ska, pop, reggae and punk rock and their dynamic live show.
The Beat formed in Birmingham in 1978, part of the West Midlands ska revival scene that also produced The Specials and The Selecter, whilst London saw the formation of Madness and The Bodysnatchers.
Their first single was an arresting version of Smokey Robinson’s “Tears Of A Clown”, given a completely new feel, and was backed with their own composition “Ranking Full Stop”. Released in a one-off deal on Jerry Dammers’ Chrysalis-backed 2-Tone label, the single stormed into the Top 10 in December 1979, and saw the band appear twice on Top Of The Pops. Backed by Arista, the band formed their own label Go-Feet Records.. The first release in February 1980 was another Top 10 hit, “Hands Off… She’s Mine”, and was the first of twelve chart singles for the band on Go-Feet.
Tickets are £20 in advance:
Saturday 23rd April BIRMINGHAM – The Rainbow Warehouse
Box Office No: 0121 771 1521 25739
To be in with chance of winning two names on the guestlist, you need to answer the following question:
What was The Beat’s first album called?
Simply go to the “Contact” page, select “Competition Entry” from the subject drop-down and message us your details along with the answer.
If you’re not prepared to chance winning tickets and just have to buy some to make sure you don’t miss out, you can contact the Rainbow Warehouse box office direct on 0121 771 1521 25739.
RULES AND STUFF:
- Deadline for entries is midday on Tuesday 19th April.
- One entry per person.
- Only entries sent via the contact page linked above will be counted.
- We’ll need your real name so they can confirm your identity at the box office.
- Correct entries will be pulled from a hat/mug/similar thing after the names are written on bits of paper (hi-tech, eh?), and the winner informed by email later that day.
- Editor’s decision is final. No cash alternatives. Prize consists of the winner and a “plus one” on the guest list – you have to make your own way there, home and feed yourself, etc. We’re not made of money ;)