On the 4th December 2017, the country’s leading independent music charity, Help Musicians UK (HMUK) launched its landmark new 24/7 mental health service “Music Minds Matter” for anyone working in the music industry.
From their website:
The Music Minds Matter service is the industry’s most comprehensive yet – combining advice, signposting, clinical pathways and professional therapeutic services, including counselling and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT). Uniquely, the service also provides access to the charity’s grant funding, and individuals may also access advice on legal issues, debt and benefits. This is a first for the British music industry.
Those needing help and emotional support can call 0808 802 8008 free of charge, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
HMUK has provided help, support and opportunities to empower musicians at all stages of their lives for 96 years. During 2016, HMUK’s Health & Welfare team experienced a 22% increase in requests for help from musicians across the UK, and in total last year, the charity spent £1.9 million helping these individuals.
In response to this, HMUK commissioned the University of Westminster and MusicTank to undertake the world’s largest academic study into mental health and the music industry. The findings of the report ‘Can Music Make You Sick?’, led to HMUK’s pledge to launch the Music Minds Matter service by December this year, as well as initiate the music industry’s first Mental Health Taskforce in collaboration with music industry partners, organisations and stakeholders.
HMUK’s approach with Music Minds Matter is to provide individually tailored support and access to appropriate resources. In particular, the new 24/7 service will provide:
- Listening and emotional support
- Support and advice in getting a diagnosis
- Signposting to additional services that can support issues around mental health, addiction, eating disorders, sexual harassment, and homelessness
- CBT, counselling, advice on debt, welfare benefits and legal issues
- Links to the charity’s Health & Welfare grants
- Advice can also be accessed by emailing ku.gr1544556486o.sna1544556486icisu1544556486mpleh1544556486@MMM1544556486 (please note a 48-hour turnaround)