If you like your space rock with a medieval twist then this is an album you should be keeping an eye out for. Cumbria’s Gandalf’s Fist are set to release A Forest of Fey this Autumn (exact date for you when I have it).
This will be their first release as a four-piece, having previously been a core of two when they released 2013’s A Day in the Life of a Universal Wanderer.
The album follows the psychedelic, folk-tinged journey of a young girl trapped in a malevolent woodland and features guest contributions from Troy Donockley (Nightwish), John Mitchell (It Bites/Arena), Dave Oberlé (Gryphon), Clive Nolan (Pendragon/Arena) and Matt Stevens (Instrumental Artist/The Fierce and the Dead). Album art is by German artist Thomas Huth and is a wonderful twist on the traditional Alice imagery. Click on the image to the right, there, for a full sized version.
The track list is as follows:
- Childhood Ghosts
- Gardens of the Lost *Featuring Troy Donockley (Tin Whistles, Low Whistle)
- A Forest of Fey (Including Wisdom of the Reptile and the Lament for a Silent Verse) *Featuring Troy Donockley (Low Whistles)
- The Figure Speaks
- The World We Created
- The Circus in the Clearing (Including the Fanfare for the King’s Tournament) *Featuring Troy Donockley (Cumbrian Bouzouki)
- Blood for a Royal Pardon *Featuring Troy Donockley (Tin Whistle)
- Drifter on the Edge of Time *Featuring Clive Nolan (Keys) & Matt Stevens (Ambient Intro Guitar)
- Forest Rose (Coming Home)
- Return from the Tournament *Featuring Troy Donockley (Cumbrian Bouzouki) and Dave Oberlé (Vocals & Bodhran)
- Stories Old and Stories Told (Of Children Brave and Children Bold) *Featuring John Mitchell (Vocals) & Matt Stevens (Ambient Intro Guitar)
- A Poison Tree
- Gandalf’s Fist – new album and guest musician updates (moshville.co.uk)
- New Band of the Day: Gandalf’s Fist (moshville.co.uk)
- Gandalf’s Fist Announce New Line-up; Begin Working on New Album (moshville.co.uk)