Party punkers Patent Pending are set to release their ten-track covers LP via Rude Records on 26th May. Known for their reworkings in a live setting, this time around they decided to commit the tracks to an album, to give fans something to really dance to. Although already streaming four of the tracks, ahead of the album’s full unveiling, vocalist Joe is here to give you a track by track lowdown. Part one today, the second half
tomorrow now online!
1. Wasted/Wake Me Up – originally by Tiesto / Avicii: After hearing the original version of “Wasted” by Tiesto I had it stuck in my head for weeks. The chorus is such a great singalong with an incredible melody. “Wake Me Up” has been one of my all time favourite songs since the day that I heard it. We thought it would be fun to mash up songs done by DJs. It was a weird idea when we first thought of it, but we love the result. The two songs just complement each other really well. It’s very common and very easy for people to overlook EDM music. We wanted to make these two songs rock so people who much prefer rock to EDM could hear these tremendous melodies and catchy singalong parts in a more familiar way. Stream it here.
2. Spice Up Your Life – originally by Spice Girls: As soon as we decided to do this project we knew we wanted to do a Spice Girls song. We all grew up loving them. We actually had a copy of the movie in our old tour bus that we used to watch on repeat at one point. Other than our love for The Spice Girls we also wanted to do one of their songs because they truly represent girl power. In times like these where women are being treated terribly and there is turmoil both with our new government here in the USA and many other places around the world, I think we could all use a little more Girl Power. While listening to The Spice Girls catalogue to decide on a song to do, we noticed that “Spice Up Your Life” is a really heavy song musically! Kind of reminded us of a My Chemical Romance vibe. It turns out that if you switch the synths for guitars and make the song a little angrier you get the gnarliest and probably heaviest Patent Pending recording of all time. This song was one of my favourite recording sessions of my entire life. Stream it here.
3. Can’t Take My Eyes Off You – originally by The Four Seasons: This has always been one of my favourite songs! I grew up listening to The Four Seasons and I’m also a huge fan of the movie “10 Things I Hate About You”, along with the classic scene where Heath Ledger serenades Julia Styles! The original version of this song has a real punk rock spirit to it because the structure is bizarre and doesn’t make any sense – such a weird song in and of itself. Patent Pending has always been an oddball band and I think our version of this song really speaks to our overall character as musicians.
4. Never Gonna Give You Up – originally by Rick Astley: RICK ASTLEY! This is one of the first songs that I ever knew all of the words to. My parents were obsessed with it so it was just always on. Fast forward fifteen years and you’ll know that it’s one of the songs that we would do for our “Same Song 100 Times In A Row Challenge” on long rides in our van to shows. We also used to prank phone call people and sing this song as a group when we were bored on the road. We must have heard and sang this song as a group over 1000 times at this point. This cover was inevitably going to happen at one point or another. Also, RICK ASTLEY! He’s amazing! My dream is to take our version and do a shot for shot remake of his original music video. If you haven’t seen it, I highly suggest you do. It’s the perfect microcosm of what 80’s pop music was all about. Stream it here.
5. Shout Out To My Ex – originally by Little Mix: Confession: Before we started this cover album project none of us had ever heard of the group Little Mix. Needless to say we have since heard of them, fallen in love and covered one of their hits for our album. We were having trouble with the last song selection when I was on the phone with our friends in the UK rock band “Boy Jumps Ship” talking about our upcoming tour. We started talking about the album and how we were having trouble picking a final song when all four of them shouted “SHOUT OUT TO MY EX” in unison. I had no idea what they were talking about. We listened to the song and by the end of the first chorus we were in love with it. The melodies are awesome and the attitude is reminiscent of early 2000’s pop-punk to me. They did something fun and ambitious and perfected the art of telling an ex to fuck off. This song is a belter for sure. Stream it here.
Other People’s Greatest Hits is out on May 26th